Patch Work




Many people notice troubling changes from their scalp once they have telogen effluvium. Some notice itching. Others notice flaking when they're reasonably sure that they've never had dandruff before.It appears that I now have dandruff and my scalp is itchy. I've never had a dandruff issue in my life. Is my dandruff associated with my hair loss? Will fixing the dandruff improving the shedding?"


I had some flaking with my very own telogen effluvium, but I used to be told that it had been dry scalp rather than traditional dandruff. Both of those conditions cause white flakes and itching. In my case, my scalp dried out due to a number of the over-the-counter topical treatments that I used to be trying to prevent the hair loss. Telogen effluvium is typically caused by some kind of medical condition, stress, or change that happens internally to the body. In turn, the body attempts to conserve its strength by changing your hair cycles to the shedding phase. Dandruff usually doesn't fall under the category of a telogen effluvium trigger, unless it's an allergy or an inflammatory response to something. Most of the time, triggers are things like illness, medications, pregnancy, dieting, etc.


Inflammation to the scalp and therefore the hair follicles being so active can cause itching. (And some people get some pretty heavy inflammation on their scalp because the results of all of the shedding that's hitting the hair follicles all directly .) Usually, though, this happens after the shedding begins. it's not the explanation for the shedding. I'm not a doctor, but my research has shown that there are some inflammatory conditions of the scalp which will cause hair loss, but they're relatively rare and that they typically feel far more painful than typical itching.


Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo is dermatologist approved


I found that dandruff shampoo helped my shedding somewhat. I feel that it had been due to the anti-inflammatory properties. I compared dandruff shampoo with baby shampoo, regular shampoo, and shampoo that supposedly was specifically for hair loss. For me, the dandruff shampoo worked the simplest, although it just helped a touch. It didn't solve the difficulty. Again, I feel that it had been just tackling the inflammation that was caused by all of my shedding. I do not think that it had been treating my hair loss, as once the TE cycle starts, you only got to keep your scalp healthy, address inflammation, and await your hair cycles to reset.


I should mention that there's another hair loss condition called androgenetic alopecia (AGA) that's caused by reactions to androgens. Sometimes, you are doing see dandruff with this condition also, especially when there's excess sebum. so that is additionally a consideration.


To answer the question, some people with telogen effluvium do get either dry scalp or changes in their scalp that presents as flaking. It certainly doesn't hurt to ascertain if dandruff shampoo will help. But, the flaking itself is typically not the explanation for the TE. Rather, it's a symbol or an after-effect of it. Thankfully, it always ends when the TE does. I have not got to use dandruff shampoo, although I do occasionally, just to form sure I do not have any inflammation.